Colorado's Front Range
- 95+ routes ranging from easy to challenging
- Full-color photos and topo maps
- Introduction to gear and avalanche safety
Afoot and Afield: Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and Rocky Mountain National Park is one of the most comprehensive hiking and biking books available. Alan Apt, author of the best-selling guidebook, Snowshoe Routes Colorado’s Front Range, and Kay Turnbaugh, author of Around Nederland, carefully describe 184 adventures for people of all abilities and interests. The book includes everything from easy access Front Range lakeside strolls to high challenging treks among the high peaks. Many trails are great for kids (of all ages)—less ambitious but highly satisfying, easy gambols in the natural world. The geographical scope of the book stretches from the Fort Collins area to Colorado Springs, and west to Rocky Mountain National Park, Fairplay, and Independence Pass; with superb coverage of mountains, plains, canyons and riverside adventures.
The book includes over 150 photos and maps for every trail, as well as safety checklists and how-to tips based on more than 90 years of combined outdoor experience. If you visit 10 trails per year, you will have almost 20 years of trails described in this book to enjoy.
The new edition offers much more than the first edition, with:
• 184 trails, many of them new
• 60+ hikes within one hour of Denver-Boulder
• 33 peak summit hikes--20 mountain summits, 13 foothills
• 80 hikes with options for families with kids
• 43 hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park
• 57 hikes to lakes
• 65 trails good for mountain biking
• 80 trails good for winter sports
The most exciting and scenic places to explore on skis and snowshoes within easy driving distance of Denver and other Front Range cities
• Family-oriented easy outings for beginners or youngsters
• Challenging mountain summits for experienced mountaineers
• 80 routes with complete descriptions and maps
Ski & Snowshoe Routes, Colorado’s Front Range is about where to go and what to use on both easy and challenging trails. It’s also about enjoyment and achievement. However you choose to enjoy Colorado winters, this book will provide you with indispensable information about the best trails, the most appropriate equipment to use, safety in avalanche terrain, excellent maps and photos, and who to contact for additional information. It includes an overview of the equipment you’ll want and essential information for enjoyable and safe outings in the Rockies.